[Sca-cooks] The Omnivore's Hundred

Lady Celia CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Wed Sep 10 15:01:17 PDT 2008

Urtatim said:
<<I really cannot imagine why i should ever eat a Big Mac...>>

Actually, as far as I'm concerned you *shouldn't* ever eat a Big Mac.
Notice I said "even if you're smart enough to eat them"... but the idea that
someone grew up in the U.S. and has never had one is foreign to me, unless,
as I said, you grew up in a counter-culture where they're eschewed.  It
looks like you grew up eating finer and/or healthier foods (rare in the
U.S.) and by the time you would have been "tempted", had learned to make
healthier, more tasteful choices.  Most of us weren't that lucky.  Most of
us are raised on a solid diet of unhealthy fast food and have to struggle to
learn the right way to eat as adults.

As the very name of the film you mention, "Fast Food Nation" implies... our
culture is based on a really unhealthy pattern, and it's the rare, and IMO
*very* fortunate person who isn't inculcated with that culture at a young
enough age that it makes changing those patterns difficult.

But I agree with you 100% about the "should" part.  IMO, if you have managed
to escape having a Big Mac Meal, unless you just absolutely feel the need to
have one just for the sake of "cultural literacy", then you *shouldn't* ever
eat a Big Mac. :)

Respectfully,
Celia