[Sca-cooks] Silk Worms as Food?

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:42:54 PDT 2008

> I always thought that I WAS eating part of the cow dead carcass when I bit into that Prime Rib steak.  I think I missed part of the conversation.?.?  Not live . . . part of the cow . . . must have issed it.

Yes, but no. The original wording made it sound like the worms died of
natural causes and then we just picked up the already-dead worms (who
knows how long they've been dead!) and ate them, while actually the
silk producers have to kill the worm to get the silk, so we know how
long they've been dead by the time we get to them.

Of course we're eating dead cow, but we know they've been killed for
the purpose of eating. It's not roadkill we found without an idea of
how long it's been lying there...

I'm wondering how practical this is though. For the
worms-as-a-byproduct-of-silk-production thing. The cocoons are soaked,
boiled and "unrolled", so by the time you got to the worms theyd be
pretty mushy.