[Sca-cooks] nafila fatima?

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 15:50:45 PDT 2008

Hi and so nice of you all to come with comments and ideas!! The village
where the special pastry (is a dessert) is made is named Vratnica and is in
the mountains in Macedonia. A pure no mixed Macedonian village, descent from
Alexander's macedonians. It is wrapped as a little envelope, not filled with
custard but sticky of syrup. The dough is very tasty since it is done with
one kilo butter and 15 eggs.
It's not flaky as the millefeuilles but very compact.
As I was told the recipe is an old Ottoman recipe but it's not longer made
in modern Turkey. It's impossible also to buy it in the city of Skopje, it's
made in the villages and it's consumed locally. I was lucky because I was
invited to have lunch in the home of a lady whose mother lives in the
village of Vratnica and sent to her the pastry-
Ana

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Linda Peterson <mirhaxa at morktorn.com>wrote:

> Ana, what did the Narfila Fatima look like when done? Bread? Dessert? Thin
> sheet or piled up?
>
>  mirhaxa at morktorn.com
>

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, [ISO-8859-1] Ana Valdés wrote:
>
>  I had the Hortopita today in a restaurante near the monastary of Saint
>> Pantelemon. Exquisite!! And later in my friend's place I had the pastry
>> Nafila Fatima, made in a village in the mountains. My friends wife's
>> mother
>> lives still there and she is one baking it.
>> Much better and tasty than any baklava or philodough I know.
>> Thanks Huette!
>> Ana
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  The only nafila that I found on the internet was a Muslim prayer.
>>>  Although
>>> I am wondering if this is a Macedonian variation of Filo dough.  When I
>>> put
>>> in the words "Macedonia" "pastry" "recipe", I got this, which also
>>> mentions
>>> a very thin rolling pin or dowel:
>>>
>>> Hortopita
>>>
>>> My interpreter's mother (who was a commercial baker in Skopje, Macedonia)
>>> used a dowel which looked to be about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter and
>>> about
>>> 3 feet long to roll out her pastry. She used this to make the pastry for
>>> her
>>> Hortopita, which is a Greek/Macedonian baking-powder-leavened bread
>>> stuffed
>>> with spinach and feta cheese. It is simply fantastic the way she made it
>>> -
>>> rolling out the dough with her dowel in a long thin strip. Then she would
>>> place the spinach/Feta cheese stuffing along the middle of the strip and
>>> fold the dough over the stuffing. Then she would roll the stuffed dough
>>> into
>>> a spiral like a cinnamon roll, bake it and serve. It is no wonder that I
>>> am
>>> not weighing 500 pounds! Make it several weeks ahead, and freeze, then
>>> thaw
>>> and reheat it in a moderate oven. Serve it as an hors d'oeuvre or with
>>> the
>>> meal.
>>>
>>> SERVES 12 )
>>>
>>> Ingredients
>>> 4 cups all-purpose flour
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>> 2 teaspoons baking powder
>>> 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional
>>> 2 leeks, white parts only, well washed, split, and cut into 1/4-inch
>>> slices
>>> 1 small onion, finely chopped
>>> 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
>>> 1 1/2 lbs spinach, well washed, dried, and roughly chopped
>>> 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
>>> 1/2 cup mint, finely chopped (optional)
>>> 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
>>> 2 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
>>> 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
>>> salt, to taste
>>> Directions
>>> 1)Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of two
>>> 12-by-18-inch baking sheets.
>>> 2)In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add 1
>>> cup cold water and 2/3 cup olive oil, and process until smooth. Remove
>>> the
>>> dough from the food processor, knead it into a ball with your hands, and
>>> wrap loosely in plastic film. Let it sit for 10 minutes or until ready to
>>> use.
>>> 3) In a large sauté pan, heat 1/2 cup of the oil over medium heat. Add