[Sca-cooks] Cups of Raw Rice in a Lb.

terry l. ridder terrylr at blauedonau.com
Thu Sep 18 10:55:05 PDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Lilinah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a quick question and i'm not finding an answer so far.
>
> I'm trying to convert a recipe in the European style (weight rather than
> volume) and i'm stumped on how many cups of raw (i.e., uncooked) rice to a
> lb. I know this can vary with the type of rice, how much moisture it may have
> absorbed from the air - or how much it may have dried out over time.

using my digital kitchen scale and the several different rice
i have on hand i have the following:

fancy pearl rice    1/4 cup == 42.0 grams ; 1 cup == 208 grams
indian basmati rice 1/4 cup == 50.0 grams ; 1 cup == 200 grams
thai jasmine rice   1/4 cup == 50.0 grams ; 1 cup == 200 grams
sushi rice          1/4 cup == 52.0 grams ; 1 cup == 208 grams
long grain rice     1/4 cup == 51.5 grams ; 1 cup == 206 grams

  200 grams is approximately  7.05 ounces  2.27 cups per pound
  206 grams is approximately  7.27 ounces  2.20 cups per pound
  208 grams is approximately  7.34 ounces  2.18 cups per pound
1000 grams is approximately  2.20 pounds
1000 grams is approximately 35.27 ounces

so approximately 2.25 cups of raw rice per pound.

--
terry l. ridder ><>