[Sca-cooks] Chawettys

edoard at medievalcookery.com edoard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Sep 18 13:28:17 PDT 2008

I suspect the recipe in question is this one from Two Fifteenth-Century
Cookery-Books:

"vij - Chawettys. Take buttys of Vele, and mynce hem smal, or Porke, and
put on a potte; take Wyne, and caste ther-to pouder of Gyngere, Pepir,
and Safroun, and Salt, and a lytel verthous, (Note: verjuice) and do hem
in a cofyn with 3olkys of Eyroun, and kutte Datys and Roysonys of
Coraunce, Clowys, Mace3, and then ceuere thin cofyn, and lat it bake tyl
it be y-now."

If so, then they've got a transcription error.  It should indeed be
yolkys of eyron (eggs).

Roysonys of Coraunce are currants (a.k.a zante raisins).

- Doc