[Sca-cooks] What's period, was: Vikings in Minnesota

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 22 11:35:09 PDT 2008

No offense taken, certainly! It's been my understanding, though, that
the SCA's governing Corpora documents don't give any specific early
cut-off date, and while some kingdoms do impose one for things like
A&S competition rules, there's a very broad scope for interpretation
of what is and is not "early period". One could argue that, for
example, the Roman republic is well out of our scope, but it gets into
a distinctly grey area if we argue the same for something like the
Carolingian era, which pretty closely overlaps the Viking Era. For
practical purposes the Dark Ages, the Islamic expansion, etc., have
been fair game for "period" pretty much since Day One.

Adamantius

Sent from my iPod