[Sca-cooks] Favorite Cookbook Layouts

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:55:00 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Gaylin Walli <gaylinwalli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Short version: Which cookbooks do you love the look and layout of and which
> do you hate? Why?

I prefer to have the ingredients listed first...not only does it facilitate
shopping for ingredients, but I like to get out all of the ingredients
before I start so that I don't have to scurry about mid-recipe to locate
something!    I think my favorite source of recipes, though it's not a
cookbook *per se*, is "Cooks Illustrated."  I like the idea of seeing
explanations of how the author arrived at a particular recipe, along with
their block instructions on techniques/ingredients/tools/etc.

I guess my favorite cookbook is "Virginia Hospitality."  The recipes are
written in a clear, easily understood format...and, for whatever reason,
they ALWAYS turn out to be delicious.  It's the only cookbook I've ever had
that that can be said of.  It was published by the Junior League of Hampton,
VA, and consists of recipes donated either by their membership or by some of
the well-known restaurants in the tidewater region of Virginia.

So far as bindings are concerned...I prefer anything that will lay flat on
the counter...hard-bound books are, as was pointed out earlier, pretty to
look at, but not very helpful in the kitchen.

Hope this helps...

Kiri