[Sca-cooks] OOP PETA's Suggestion to Ben and Jerry from another recovering lactator

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sun Sep 28 16:18:06 PDT 2008

Greetings, all!
Being another recovering lactator, this issue has insured that I will never
have the slightest interest in anything PETA says ever again, not that I had
much use for them before this. I just weaned my youngest and last, earlier
than I wanted to because of my need to address my own medical issues.
Their logic, what there is of it, is faulty too. Human breast milk (as well
as any mammalian milk) is for _baby_ humans. When you are no longer a baby,
you do not need this any more. Cows, goats, sheep, and a few other animals
have been bred for millenia to be dairy animals, which all of us on the
cook's list are perfectly well familiar with. So, taking it to another
logical but extreme conclusion, are those mush-brained ninnies at PETA
proposing we start breeding humans as dairy animals? Did they actually
consult any human women who have breastfed children before they did this?
It's a lot of work feeding a baby, to produce milk for ice cream for grown
up humans would take some pretty substantial financial incentives. Being
cranky today anyway, I will probably send PETA an email asking if this is
what they are proposing, after I get done calling them eight kinds of
idiots.
To partially address Stefan's question, there are human milk banks in use
today, but the medical restrictions on who can donate to them are pretty
significant, from what I am given to understand. Engorged breasts are
uncomfortable!
Now I get to see how long it takes to get Daniel to stop calling me Mommy
Moo, his soubriquet of the last six years.
Thanks for being sensible.
Cheers,
Isabella de la Gryffin

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine