[Sca-cooks] Another cast iron question

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Sep 2 12:03:51 PDT 2008

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps did speak thusly:

>But I have another question about using edible oils to season the
>hibachi-it's not huge, I think it would probably fit in the oven,
>but what would keep the oil from going rancid? I don't think we'd be
>using it more than half a dozen times a year, outside of hurricane
>season and local SCA events.

You don't just wipe the oil on, you heat it to the point it
polymerizes. That is what is happening to create that black sheen of
the season on the surface. Rancidity occurs because of oxidation of
the oil, this is just not possible with the polymerized fat because
all of the weak molecular bonds that would normally oxidize have been
cross-linked to other fat molecules and now form a very large network
that is difficult to react with oxygen.

>So, still playing devil's advocate and asking questions, why would
>cast iron stove paint not be appropriate? It seems to me the usage
>of a cast iron hibachi is closer to a cast iron woodburning stove
>than a pan that you use every day.

My hibachi is painted. It came that way from the factory and it has
remained well coated. I don't use it a lot and it really has not
rusted in the 18 months or so I have had it. I think it is a much
better solution than seasoning if you get a paint that is designed
for such temperatures (like the stove paint you mention or other
"engine" paints).

The problem with seasoning is that you will burn it off fairly
quickly anywhere the burning charcoal is near the iron. It cannot
withstand the temperatures of the direct contact.

Dragon