[Sca-cooks] Favorite Cookbook Layouts

Gaylin Walli gaylinwalli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:31:19 PDT 2008

This is something I just posted to Middle Kingdom Cooks and thought perhaps
people wouldn't mind discussing. -- Iasmin

This is something I've been musing on lately especially in light of trying
to teach people medieval recipes when dealing with recipes that more often
than not don't have specified amounts or sometimes even specific
instructions.

Short version: Which cookbooks do you love the look and layout of and which
do you hate? Why?

Long version: Of the cookbooks you own, which are your favorite because of
how they lay out information or teach you things? If you can give specific
examples by name of cookbooks, that's great. Do your truly useful cookbooks
put ingredients first, in order, grouped by wet and dry, or interspersed
with the instructions? Which are the prettiest to you and why? Which would
you never take in the kitchen? What kind of binding do they have (hidden
spring, three ring, comb, saddle stitched, perfect)?

Thoughts?

Iasmin

PS: Just idle musings on a Friday afternoon as I practice classic work
avoidance. :)