[Sca-cooks] 14th century English banana recipe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Apr 1 09:27:30 PDT 2009

> <<< Wow!  One receipt that documents bananas AND chocolate!  What are
> the odds!
>
> Nancy Kiel >>>
>
> Ah, yes. But where is the documentation on the "maraschino cherry"?
>
> Stefan
> (posting while my Internet connection seems to be working...)

Maraschino is a cordial made from the pits of marasca cherries.  Maraschino
cherries are cherries that have been preserved in the cordial.  The presence
of the cordial was presumably first noted at the Zadar Dominican monastery
early in the 16th Century.  One of the uses for the cordial was preserving
marasca cherries.  Large scale commercial production of maraschino is an
artifact of the 18th Century and commercial maraschino cherry production
appears to be primarily 19th Century.  The modern maraschino cherry was
"Americanized" in the early 20th Century.

Bear