[Sca-cooks] Viking Dining Light

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 20:41:26 PDT 2009

Sharon asked:
> Does anyone know if this was from an edible grain such as barley or
> flax?
> I'd also be interested in whether the pith was used like a wick in
> oil or
> fat or whether it was used to soak up oil in a more sponge like way
> and then
> lit if anyone is familiar with this.

Margaret FitzWilliam replied:
<<< Rushlights are also period for much of Europe--there's a wrought-
iron
rushlight holder in the Medieval Household book from the Museum of
London
that looks for all the world like the rushlight holders that were
used in
colonial times in the US. >>>

Rushes were trimmed and then dipped in tallow.

While not specifically on the Norse rushes or rushlights, there is
this good, how-to article in the HOME, SWEET HOME section of the
Florilegium:

Rushlights-art     (8K) 11/29/08    "Working With Rushlights"
                                        by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.

Probably not too useful in modern feasthalls, though.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com