[Sca-cooks] A reference Please?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Apr 5 20:42:21 PDT 2009

You might start with a recipe from Harleian 279,  "To make Steyks of venson
or bef. Take Venyson or Bef, & leche & gredyl it up broun; then take Vynegre
& a litel verious, & a lytil Wyne, and put pouder perpir ther-on y-now, and
pouder Gyngere; and atte the dressoure straw on pouder Canelle y-now, that
the steyks be al y-helid ther-wyth, and but a litel Sawce; & then serue it
forth."

The mixture of vinegar, verjuice and wine appears to be used as a basting
sauce with pepper and ginger sprinkled on for seasoning.  Cinnamon is added
just before serving.

Somewhat earlier, Apicius (269) provides, "Aliter assaturas; petroselini
scripulos VI, laser scripulos VI, gingiberis scripulos VI, lauri bacas V,
condimenti, laseris radicen scripulos VI, origani scripulos VI, ciperis
scripulos VI, costi modice, piretri scripulos III, apii seminis scripulos
VI, piperis scripulos XII, liquaminis et olei quod sufficit."

"Another way to roast meast; Six scruples of parsley, six scruples of
silhium, six scruples of ginger, five bay berries, seasonings, six scruples
of silphium root, six scruples of oregano, six scruples of cyperus, a bit of
costus root, six scruples pyrethrum, six scruples of celery seed, twelve
scruples of pepper, sufficient garum and oil."  Whether this is a marinade
or a baste is open to question.  I suspect it may have been used in both
manners.  The liquid portion of the recipe are olive oil and garum or
liquimen, fermented fish sauces that take the place of vinegar.

Bear