[Sca-cooks] Dayboards

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Apr 9 09:32:45 PDT 2009

> In the past we have served lunches with a price on each item.  I know that
> for some events, the dayboard is included in the event fee, but we aren't
> used to doing it that here.  How do people handle charging for food served
> buffet style?   Do you break things down to portions and put a price on
> each portion?  One fixed price for everything?   I'd be inclined to put a
> donation basket out, but the autocrat said not.

<clipped>

> Ranvaig

The three pricing options that come to mind are per item, per plate, and all
you can eat.  Since one can't control portioning on the latter, the first
two are a better bet.  You might wish to consider using both per item and
per plate.  Single items that sell well as snacks could be individual priced
per unit for the casual muncher while a more substantial meal (consisting of
a main dish and some of the individual items) could be sold to those who
want it.  You would need to withhold some of the individual stock for the
plates, but as you run out of the main dish or if you find it's not going to
sell, the reserve can be moved over to ala carte.  I would price the plates
to be a little less expensive than the individual items as an inducement.

Bear