[Sca-cooks] scallops

aeduin aeduin at roadrunner.com
Sun Apr 19 16:19:18 PDT 2009

At 03:44 PM 4/19/2009, you wrote:
><lots of stuff snipped>
>
>Good, fresh scallops can appear almost shockingly sweet -- at least as
>much so as real, fresh lobster, say -- to one not used to them. I
>doubt it would be a problem for you or anyone else with sugar issues,
>but they do contain something like .7 grams of carbohydrates per
>ounce. As I said, I remember getting exceptionally fresh bay scallops
>at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, which is, as the name implies, an
>oyster bar and restaurant in New York's Grand Central Station (one
>whose cooking is just okay, nothing great, but whose seafood buyer is
>enough of a genius to regularly turn down job offers in the six
>figures to work for large Tokyo sushi chains) and thinking they were
>coated with honey. I wasn't kidding.
>
>Adamantius

The freshest, and best, scallops I've ever eaten were in Batangas in
the Philippines.  Or, more accurately, in the water off Batangas
province.  My dive buddy and I found a rocky outcropping that had a
scallop bed on it.  We took a couple dozen up for the dinner that
night and those were very good.  But the best were the ones we ate 30
feet under water holding on to the rocks with out knees.  It isn't
something I recommend to most people since eating underwater is
tricky to do without swallowing too much water and getting enough air.

aeduin