[Sca-cooks] scallops

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Apr 20 12:00:24 PDT 2009

I suspect that the association of scallops and other shellfish with
onions goes back a long way.
Here's a passage from 1562 that urges "muskels" and oysters be eaten in
such a way.
Scallopes are dismissed as being hard to digest as according to Galen,
however.

"As for Lympetes, Cockels, Scallopes, as Galen sayth, they be hard of
digestion. Muskels, and Oysters, would be wel boyled, rosted, or baked
With Onions, wyne, Butter, Suger, Ginger, & Peper, or els they be wyndy,
& Flegmatike:…
<https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=eebo;cc=eebo;q1=scallop%2A;op2=and;op3=and;rgn=div1;view=trgt;lvl=1;idno=A17156.0001.001;id=DLPS990;note=inline>
cholorike stomackes may wel digest raw Oysters, but they haue cast manye
one away, yet raw Oysters wil clense the raynes. Page 79
Bullein, William, d. 1576. Bulleins bulwarke of defence against all
sicknesse 1562

Likewise the waters off Virginia have long been noted as a rich source
of seafood.

By 1602 it was being reported

“Lobstars. Crabbes. Muscles. Wilks. Cockles. Scallops. Oisters.” could
be found in coastal waters of Virginia.

This from A briefe and true relation of the discouerie of the north part
of Virginia being a most pleasant, fruitfull and commodious soile: made
this present yeere 1602, by Captaine Bartholomew Gosnold. By Brereton,
John, 1572-ca. 1619., Hayes, Edward, fl. 1602. published 1602

Johnnae