[Sca-cooks] scallops

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 14:22:00 PDT 2009

According to one website, Alaska has three kinds of scallops in their waters, the Bay Scallop, the Rock Scallop and the Weathervane Scallop.
I found another website that states that China has introduced the Bay Scallop into their waters.  I couldn't tell if these were farmed scallops or those allowed to live free.  I have found several sites that state most of the Bay scallops sold in markets are farmed.

The Rock scallop is a West Coast scallop.  It is protected here in California, but not in other states.  I have had Rock scallops and they are deliscious.  But I can only get them now in Oregon and Washington.

The Weathervane are very similar to Atlantic Sea Scallops, but are not quite as large.

Adamantius, according to what I found, dried scallops come from China and are call 'conpoy'.

Huette