[Sca-cooks] 16th cent. kitchen print

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Apr 25 20:54:41 PDT 2009

You can always look these posts up in the archives if you miss one or
lose the bookmark.
http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/

In the meantime, the original engraver was listed as Justus Sadeler.

One rather poor version of the print turns up here:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/sixwives/times/food.html
*Preparing for a Feast*
Justus Sadeler after Antonio Tempesta c. 1600 Credit: Hulton Archive

When one looks for the original by Antonio Tempesta, one comes across it as
January: A Kitchen.  Antonio Tempesta  published 1599.
He turns up all over the place.
The kitchen scene is in ARTstor for those with academic access, but even
better it's at LA County.

http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=25999;type=101

The entire set is listed here: Several of the other prints are quite
cool and interesting as well.
http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=131334;type=101

Johnnae