[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter

tudorpot at gmail.com tudorpot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:58:33 PDT 2009

> The food color most often used in margarine is annatto, which is a natural orange color and a precursor of vitamin A.  My mom mixed it in, even after the war, as I very vaguely recall.  But later manufacturers were permitted to add it themselves, and the home blending stopped.

I believe Quebec still forbids margarine to be coloured before sale to
consumers. I recall my uncle many years ago mixing the colouring into
the margarine, very strange. Our family only used butter, parents had
lived thru the depression and rationing in WWI and 2, so keen to have
good food.

Theodora