[Sca-cooks] Eggs was Hi again everyone!!!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Apr 3 21:04:18 PDT 2009

> This reminds me- totally OOP, but I have a book written by Ezra Meeker,
> one of the more important pioneers to land in Washington state. In his
> account of the trip out from the Midwest, he noted that his wife buried
> eggs in the flour barrel, too keep them cool. Sounds like Eliza Jane
> wasn't the first one to think of this!
>
> 'Lainie

Here's a link to the section on egg preservation of An Encyclopaedia of
Domestic Economy by Thomas Webster and William Parkes from 1855.  Apparently
Eliza Jane Meeker's methods were fairly common.

http://books.google.com/books?id=f5oDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA789&lpg=PA789&dq=reaumur+egg+preservation&source=bl&ots=zBBzu7MxBh&sig=xOlJaCKoFr_I7NhENMCOP1_JANU&hl=en&ei=PtnWSab-HIrwswOPmIy2Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

Bear