[Sca-cooks] Eggs was Hi again everyone!!!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 3 21:20:30 PDT 2009

And it was even better for the westward travelers since they were
already carrying the flour anyway, and the flour helped cushion the
eggs from being jarred and broken over the rough terrain.

Stefan

------------
Terry Decker wrote:
<<< "The best way to keep eggs is in bean meal or flour and during
winter
in chaff, but fior the summertime in bran."  Pliny, Natural Histories.

"The manner to keep eggs a long time is, in the winter in straw and in
summer in bran or meal."  Columella >>>

This reminds me- totally OOP, but I have a book written by Ezra Meeker,
one of the more important pioneers to land in Washington state. In his
account of the trip out from the Midwest, he noted that his wife buried
eggs in the flour barrel, too keep them cool. Sounds like Eliza Jane
wasn't the first one to think of this!

'Lainie
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas