[Sca-cooks] Storing eggs through Lent, WAS Re: Hi again everyone!!!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 3 21:40:05 PDT 2009

Mistress Jadwiga commented:

<<< The big trouble with eggs in Lent is that the hens have already
stopped
laying, and the number of eggs they were laying in the winter was very
diminished anyway, so you've probably used up most or all of your stored
eggs. >>>

I thought that hens mostly stopped laying eggs back in late fall or
early winter. And would have started laying again during Lent. So
when did the hens start laying again?

And I am specifically thinking about within period, not today. With
the years of genetic manipulation and constant, provided grain
supplies instead of scrounging for bugs and such, I doubt there is
much resemblance in the rate of today's egg laying to medieval times.
However, I seem to remember that even today, egg laying does drop off
during the winter. The amount and size of eggs today also does still
vary depending upon the age of the hen.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas