[Sca-cooks] Storing eggs through Lent, WAS Re: Hi again everyone!!!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 3 21:49:59 PDT 2009

Chimene said:
  <<< Butter or soft beeswax would certainly have been available  in
period,
for the anti-oxygen sealing...>>>

I'm pretty certain that beeswax was way too expensive in period to be
used for this. Remember that it was only the very rich or the Church
which used beeswax for candles in period.

And from the book I'm reading right now, "Fish on Friday - Feasting,
Fasting and the Discovery of the New World" by Brian Fagan, one of
the reasons the Church used beeswax was the association with
virginity. Apparently, it was thought that bees reproduced without
sex.  And not just a bit of conspicuous consumption.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com