[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 07:18:53 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/1/2009 11:10:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wyldrose at tds.net writes:

<<I would assume that there were additives to butter through out the ages
because my mom would talk about how they added coloring to the butter so it
wasn't white during WWII and how her granmother would add a little carrot
juice to the butter for 'company' in the 1880's. >>

I seem to remember in the "Little House on the Prairie" books, Laura
mentioning that they added carrot juice or something to the butter in the winter to
make it yellow, because winter butter was white - apparently the color changes
if the cows don't eat fresh grass or something.  Don't have the books here to
check, unfortunately.

Brangwayna Morgan
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
Lancaster, PA