[Sca-cooks] rich yeasted cake

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Apr 5 23:00:55 PDT 2009

>I don't bake often enough to keep a starter going, but that would be
>the period answer.
>
>Ranvaig

It's not that hard. A jar of sourdough starter will last in the
refrigerator for a long time with no attention--I'm sure I've left
mine unused for more than a month on multiple occassions. The trick
is to then spend about three days getting it lively before you use it.

1 c flour + 1c water + 1/2c starter, leave 24 hours at room temperature.

1 c flour + 1c water + 1/2c starter (from the above), leave 24 hours
at room temperature.

1 c flour + 1c water + 1/2c starter, leave 12 hours at room temperature.

Repeat. Repeat, leaving 6 hours this time, and use it.

I think that's the sequence I've been using, although I may have put
in one too many 12 hour steps.

Works very well for bread. A bit wasteful, since at each stage you
are throwing out the surplus of the starter you made--unless you have
friends who would like some starter of their own.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com