[Sca-cooks] A reference Please?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 6 00:05:51 PDT 2009

Betsy asked:

<<< do any of you learned and generous people have a handy reference
to when (or if) oil and vinegar sauces turned into pre-cooking
marinades?
All I need is a starting point.. >>>

I can remember very little definite coming up when this question came
up here previously. Generally, we wandered off on some other tangent
or more modern marinades were discussed.

However, you might want to take a look at this *very* short file in
the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium.

p-marinating-msg   (4K) 10/31/01    Period marinating of meats.

We can document oil and vinegar as salad dressing, though. :-)

Also, along the lines of tenderizing meat, but using different
methods, see this file, also in this same section:

meat-aging-msg    (20K)  1/10/08    The aging of meat to tenderize it
in period
                                        and today.

Stefan
--------