[Sca-cooks] rich yeasted cake

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 6 07:26:18 PDT 2009

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>> It's not that hard. A jar of sourdough starter will last in the refrigerator for a long time with no attention--I'm sure I've left mine unused for more than a month on multiple occassions. The trick is to then spend about three days getting it lively before you use it.
>>

> I baked bread three times in March for our church's Lenten Soup Supper, but before that it was over 9 months, and over a year before that.  Maybe a pizza crust or two in between.  That's pretty long to keep a starter going.
>
> Ranvaig
It helps to share the starter with your friends.  My longtime starter in
the 80's, named George, had a lot of children [including the notable Boy
George] and when George finally lost his zip I was able to get started
again from the same line.  It's one of those "tradition" things that
makes sense in a community like this!

Selene