[Sca-cooks] Mail Order ham? (OOP)

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:18:10 PDT 2009

There is a great company in Virginia, Padow's Hams
<http://www.padows.com/>...they
do a Virginia ham that's similar to a Smithfield ham.  they provide
instructions as to how to cook it when you get it.  Yes, there is a special
trick to it if you get a straight Smithfield or country ham.

My husband's mother tells of giving a Smithfield ham to friends of theirs
who were not familiar with the beastie.  When they inquired of the friends
how they liked the ham, they were told that it was just awful...they had to
throw it away because it had mold on it!!  She had no idea that you scrub
the mold off, soak it overnight in vinegar and water, then parboil it,
finally dressing and baking it.  Sigh.  I really hate to imagine all that
wonderful ham being thrown away!

Kiri