[Sca-cooks] Easter dinner

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 13 16:12:21 PDT 2009

On Apr 13, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I know this is after the fact, but wanted to see if what we made was
> as good
> as we thought it would be.
>
> Our Easter dinner consisted of recipes that I had collected from
> numerous
> sources, and each dish proved to be a "keeper."  We had sirloin
> steak with a
> brandy-mushroom sauce, Cider-Braised Brussels sprouts with bacon, a
> lemon-cucumber-onion salad and French Bread pudding with cherries.  We
> didn't have any beer or apple cider, so I used perry for the cider,
> which
> worked out very well, though probably a different taste.  Other than
> that,
> it was pretty great!

Most of the extended family was out of town, so apart from making a
pre-emptive-strike cheesecake on Saturday (in case it should transpire
we were home for dinner), we had no set plans.

We bummed around Manhattan for the afternoon, got tired, came home,
and pulled a beef tenderloin out of the freezer, half of which I
roasted on a bed of caramelized root vegetables. Made brown gravy with
sauteed red onion, twice-baked potatoes (butter, cream, and a little
grated Parmigiano), butterleaf lettuce and mesclun salad with some
extra fresh herbs thrown into the greens, topped with grilled
portobello mushrooms in sherry vinaigrette, and blanched broccoli with
a little crushed garlic, Kosher salt and a little EV olive oil.

Austrian Zweigelt. Cheesecake (standard Lindy's-issue 2.5 pounds of
cream cheese recipe).

Nothing astonishing, but pleasant enough, and everything cleaned up
and put away early...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter