[Sca-cooks] Thanks to Huette...

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 16:05:00 PDT 2009

Sure...here 'tis.  Please understand that it is not a period recipe!!

Scallop and spinach casserole

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 large shallot, minced
1/3 cup Calvados
2 tablespoons apple butter
1 cup sour cream

1 pound large sea scallops
1/2 cup Calvados
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 each large garllic clove, minced
1 9 oz bag spinach leaf

1.    Gnocci
Make your favorite gnocci recipe or boil pre-made package of gnocci.  Drain
and set aside

2.    Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat.
Add scallops.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until  slightly
brown, about 2 minutes on each side.

3.    Add 1/2 cup Calvados and chopped thyme.  Let simmer until liquids are
reduced.  Remove scallops and place in a warm place until ready to serve.

4.    Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet over medium-high heat. Add
shallot and stir 30 seconds. Add Calvados and boil 30 seconds. Add  sour
cream and apple butter and boil 2 minutes.   Take sauce off heat.

5.    Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in another large saucepan over
medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add spinach and toss until
barely wilted and still bright green, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt
and pepper.

6.    In a casserole dish, place spinach uniformly across the bottom.  Place
gnocci uniformly across spinach.  Place scallops uniformly on top.  Pour
sauce uniformly on top of everything and serve.

And enjoy!  I wanted to lick the plate to get up any remaining sauce.  This
is definitely a "keeper."  By the bye, I couldn't find Calvados here in the
boonies, so I used an apple brandy.

Kiri