[Sca-cooks] oatcakes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 6 21:21:37 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> PS: Adamantius, is that supposed to be "riddlecakes" or did I
> perhaps drop a "g" in multiple places?

I seem to recall that as one of the traditional names for oatcakes of
a particular kind in the North of England, possibly a Yorkshire
dialect term.

There's a pretty detailed article on oatcakes somewhere in an early
issue of Petits Propos Culinaires, discussing the difference between
bannocks, havercakes, scones/sgians and riddlecakes.

I'm up to my ears in paperwork (sinking, actually) connected with the
Evil Spawn's college financing at the moment, so for the next month or
so, memory is at a premium, and free time more so.

But yes, I believe riddlecakes is a legitimate term, and not the
result of dropping an initial "g", at least not an error on my part or
yours, AFAIK.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter