[Sca-cooks] butter & margarine (and cheese) was honey butter

Arianwen ferch Arthur caer_mab at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 01:22:53 PDT 2009

I remember going to Australia to work, and noticing that the cheese was not a orange as I was used to, was tole "we don't add colour" to it... the butter was also a paler color (the cheese was the color I recall butter & margering being)

went I returned to US, I was asking my folks about the color added to cheese and my dad said "we do not add color to it..."

and I always remember margerine being the same yellow as butter

later mom & I were talking and she remembered having to mix color into marg, and she commented that if daddy had cared about butter vs marg we would have had butter even though it was so much more expensive (mom actually preffered butter)  and she said something about the dairy people had so regulated what defined "butter" in an attempt to prevent margarine, that now they couldn't add anything to butter or it wouldn't be butter (vitamins etc..)

she commented that she didn't like to have him grocery shop with her when buying meats because he would inspect and by marbled tender stuff (expensive) and she would buy the cheaper cuts and tenderize via the cooking (and daddy always ate his)

I too remember the carrots being cooked tender in (milk?)  and squeezed through a bag to color the butter (early addition of carotene /vitamin A)

Arianwen ferch Arthur
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx