[Sca-cooks] funnel cakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 7 21:53:05 PDT 2009

Reyni-Hrefna mentioned:

<<< This made me think of funnel cakes.  If you put a medium thick
batter in
a plate with holes it would drop down in spots, making a thin, lacy,
crispy cake on a griddle.  The drops of batter should spread into each
other. >>>

Generally funnel cakes are made by dropping the batter into hot oil.
There are quite a number of period recipes for these. Mid-period and
late, English and German. There are also some other variations such
as dripping the batter on to a stick.

I'm not sure if there is a connection with "Riddles" or not, but you
might be interesting in trying some of the recipes in this file in
the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium.

fried-breads-msg  (42K) 12/ 9/08    Period fried breads. Funnel
cakes, donuts.

There is also information in there on period donuts and waffles.

Reyni-Hrefna, it may simply be my bad memory (there is more than one
reason for the Florilegium...) but I don't recognize your name.  If
you are new here, Welcome! and please feel free to tell us something
about yourself and what brings you to this list.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com