[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 36, Issue 35

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 19:09:12 PDT 2009

Adamantius wrote:

> I guess the bottom line is that I'm familiar enough with skate and ray
> meat that I find it hard to believe anyone would be fooled. Maybe when
> raw, one disk of slightly fibrous white flesh looks much like another,
> but when cooked, it's another story.

Some of us seafood lovers are geographically challenged, and piscatorically inexperienced enough to be bamboozled.  Having grown up in Oklahoma, where fresh fish means catfish, I never tasted a real scallop until I was in high school.  Until then, I had eaten quantities of plugged skate, or ray, or whatever was being passed off for scallops and, not knowing any better, liked them just fine.  When I finally had real scallops, they had been frozen and treated with lord-knows-what for freshness, but were still better than the plugged skate.

A few weeks ago, I was vacationing in Virginia, and went to Chincoteague Island.  I watched the fishing boats come in in the morning, and ate what they had caught that evening.  I finally had real, fresh scallops.  It was an almost sexual experience.  Now I finally understand what I was missing.

Talana