[Sca-cooks] Twinkie Time

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 1 17:08:39 PDT 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 7:20 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> Warning this post combines both vegan elements and twinkies...
> http://www.nowheyvegan.com/
> offers vegan red velvet twinkies.
>
> I wonder if Hostess knows they are using the name.
> By the way Hostess advertises
> "*Got a Wacky Story?*
> Share your incredibly wacky Hostess story with us!
> If your story is featured on Twinkies.com, you win a free T-Shirt!
> How wacky is that? Submit a Story " <http://hostesscakes.com/contact.aspx

I had lunch yesterday at the ChipShop on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn
(down the street from the venerable Sahadi Importers). At the time
(and until this minute) I didn't know that they claim to be the
inventor of the deep-fried Twinkie (Hostess acknowledges a fish and
chips shop in Brooklyn; I had thought it was in Park Slope, not
Brooklyn Heights). Although I did see it on the menu, we were too full
to even consider a dessert.

I did, however, get [two] free IPA's after I suggested the bartender
dispense his ales in smaller glasses so they'd warm up faster after
being stored in the same refrigerating machinery as the lagers... the
pint just didn't taste right, for reasons I couldn't immediately
identify, and then I realized it was just about 15 degrees too cold. I
don't know if I established a long-term solution, or if they were just
mollifying the crazy man.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter