[Sca-cooks] Helpful Hint from Whomever #987

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 1 17:18:12 PDT 2009

Hullo, the list!

Apropos of nothing, I happened to see this while walking down a
Brooklyn street yesterday, and thought it might be worth sharing.

There was a woman peeling, slicing, and selling mango chunks from a
cart, each order in a little plastic sandwich bag, with a lime wedge
and a plastic fork.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but it happens to me
all the time, and I can envision several applications for the
solution. The problem is how to peel a ripe mango, or maybe an
avocado, without crushing the flesh and leaving deep thumbprints.
Sound silly and a measure of male culinary incompetence, or is this a
problem for others as well?

Well, the lady jammed a Philip's head screwdriver deep into the pointy
end of the fruit, and well into the pit, and using the screwdriver as
a handle, peeled it with a sharp Swiss/bow vegetable peeler, and
neatly sliced chunks of fruit pulp off the pit.

No thumbprints or crushing, minimal lost juice.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter