[Sca-cooks] Helpful Hint from Whomever #987

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 1 18:15:50 PDT 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> We don't really eat mangoes in this household but I have read numerous
> reviews that say this OXO item is great for taking the pits
> out which they seem to do before peeling.
> http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibeCCtpOXOPrdDtl.jsp?item=48557

Looks like one of those apple wedgers, with a similar potential
pitfall in that the actual core is not always dead center, and there's
always the risk of missing.

Now that I think of it, I've also seen street mango vendors jam the
mango on a thickish wooden skewer, like a candy apple skewer or one of
those disposable chopsticks, and then peel it and only partially cut
the flesh off the seed, leaving a sort of tulip blossom/rose shape.

Never bought one, but they look good. I spent a lot of time in
Manhattan and Brooklyn, but usually I'm en route from one place to
another, and rarely just strolling or in a position to stop and get
coated with fruit juice from head to toe. My wife, OTOH, is more
elemental about these things.

I'm one of those "afraid of staining the necktie" guys, which is
interesting if you've ever seen me in chef's whites; I tend to be a
blob of food shaped like a man.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter