[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 7 10:18:01 PDT 2009

Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>  A lot of the advertised places are basically tourist traps.

Oh, yeah! I remember road trips with the family when i was a kid. On
a car trip to Florida from Chicago, my brother and i made our parents
stop for a fortune telling chicken somewhere in the American South.
Tourist traps are even bigger, flashier, and more impersonal now.
Nowadays, they have parking lots as big as a shopping center.

But i figure since we usually avoid tourist traps, we'll go to one or
two, like the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb and maybe The House on the
Rock in Spring Hill.

But i want to get real cheese from a real cheese shop. (do not think
of Monty Python... do not think of Monty Python... . do not think of
Monty Python...)

Thanks for all the links, i'll go check them out.

>  I'd look for some brands of cheese you'd like to try.. and
>  find where they are sold.

I have no idea what Wisconsin brands there are. We've got our own
cheese out here in California. I think we're now a bigger dairy state
than WI is.

Of course, squeaky cheese curds are on our list of Wisconsin
experiences to have.

>  While you are in Wisconsin, if you like sweet rich things, try the
>  Kringle. It used to be only in Racine but seems to have spread.

Is this a shop or a food item?

A friend of my daughter said we have to try Kopp's Frozen Custard.
There are only 2 days we'll be near a Kopp's, so one or the other
will be on our itinerary.

someone sometimes called Urtatim