[Sca-cooks] OP/OT: Wanted: Opinions on Controversial Florilegium article

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 10 20:57:58 PDT 2009

>Should I remove it because it puts our Society in a bad light? Or
>leave it as a useful article for the teenagers in the SCA?
>
>The author was under pressure from her local group and then her
>Royalty to remove the article and have threatened her father, a
>Peer, with loss of his Peerage. I probably will remove the article
>because of her request.
>
>I am unlikely to grant the request of a Royal just because they are
>a Royal. On the otherhand, I am willing to be convinced that I was
>wrong to have ever considered adding this article to the Florilegium.
>
>I don't think this is appropriate discussion for this list, so
>please email me with your comments, pro or con.

I'm a parent of a 17 year old daughter, who has been mistaken as over
18 since she was 12.

Obviously the author was a teenager in the SCA herself, and has had
to deal with these things.  I don't think there is anything false in
the article, but I think it could perhaps use a paragraph or two
saying that it might not always be this way, but here is how to
handle things if you run into the situation.  It seems like the
advice is aimed to bigger events, and perhaps especially to Pennsic.
When there are 12,000 people on site, even if only a small percent of
them get drunk, thats a lot of drunk people

How horrible that the first part about politics gets played out
against her.  I'd send her own advice back to her:

"if you are sincere about yourself and all you do, you will shine
brighter. It may take a little more work, but you will feel greater
about it in the end."

Ranvaig