[Sca-cooks] OP/OT: update on Controversial Florilegium article

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:05:50 PDT 2009

Read it.  OK.  Here is my pair of pennies

Before we go too far down the 'what will the neighbors think' path, please stop and think about the target audience for the florigium is.  It is US.  Not non-SCA parents, but  SCA folks in general.  The article is directed to kids in specific.

It does NOT give the impression ( at least not to me ) that the SCA is a bunch of perverts though it does suggest that there may be perverts among us.

The article struck me as pragmatic and practical.  It could use some refining, but the opinions offered are peer-to-peer (note the lowercase p).  The author is talking to juveniles on their level using words and concepts a teenager would understand.

She makes VERY valid points that are useful for teenagers.  1) Don’t go out by yourself especially after dark.  2) Make sure that your age, specifically your UNDER-age is known.  3) If you are the recipient of undesired attention, ask for help.  It is all stuff I’ve told my own children.

What disturbs me is the thought that a Crown has raised issue with a  father concerning the article written by his daughter, by a young person for the information of other young people.  The thinly iced threat of the destruction of years of work based on what ones ‘unruly teenager’ may have said.

She is right, by the way … the folk in the SCA are just people – flaws and all.

What disturbs me more is the infringement on one of our basic freedoms as American Citizens.  She has a right to her views, she has a right to share that opinion so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.  SCA is bound to the land laws before SCA rules and covenants.

It would be a sad day indeed when an individual’s civil liberties are repressed by a king in the land of make-believe.  That King may have a grossly exaggerated vision of his own importance.

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.