[Sca-cooks] Service Animal

Lisa ladyemp at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 12 16:42:34 PDT 2009

*snip*
> I would honestly ask about the service cat. There is not honest proof of
> service animals, well over 90% are owner trained. They do not have to have
> certification (is against the law to actually ask for that). Service
animals
> are viewed as durable medical equipment. also falsly claiming an animal as
> service animal is against the law and is a fineable offense.

So how does one prove the claim is false if one is not allowed to ask why
the animal is needed or for proof of service?

-Helena
*snip*

There's the crux.... Most of it is attributable to common sense, something
that seems to be very lacking in this day and age *sigh*  Legally, service
animals do not have to be dressed or otherwise identified as service animals
by a vest or patch.  Having said that, most people who use service animals
will typically dress or somehow identify their animal as a service animal to
minimize confrontations.  Unfortunately, the fakes also prefer to
dress/patch their animals for the same reason.  Most times, the disability
is obvious, or the gear the animal wears gives it away, for example, the
harness with a handle used on guide dogs.  The best way to identify a
service animal is to observe it for a period of time.  A true service animal
will be observing and attending to their handler and ignoring everything
around it, unless it's duties require it to be alert to the environment
around it (guide dog or hearing dog).  Also, a handler of a service animal
who knows that they are legally entitled to a service animal will fight
being turned away the majority of the time, a fake who is trying to pass off
a pet as a service animal will not risk confrontation if turned away,
because they know that they are not legally entitled to what they are
claiming.  Another good sign of a service animal is training.  A service
animal typically has exceptional behavior, and makes itself as unobtrusive
as possible.  It's rare to see a service animal act out, bark (unless it's
alerting to something and that's it's trained response) or have an accident
in a public place.  Any service animal that growls or snaps at anyone would
be retired by a responsible handler and can be removed from the premises
legally due to aggressive behavior.

Elizabeta