[Sca-cooks] Advice on a leafy green vegetable

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Aug 14 08:59:28 PDT 2009

At my farmer's market (which has a large proportion of Hmong farmers) I
can get "Chinese spinach". I looked it up and apparently this is also
known as Malabar spinach, Basella alba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basella_alba

I can find Asian recipes for it without a problem. My question is, what
can I do with it in medieval cooking? I cannot eat true spinach unless it
is cooked to goo (like in palak paneer, for instance) so that whatever I
am allergic to is destroyed. The problem this creates is that I can't have
any of the lovely tarts or salads that contain spinach because they aren't
cooked enough. So, can I use this as a spinach substitute or am I better
off using Swiss chard instead?

Many thanks,

Margaret FitzWilliam