[Sca-cooks] Advice on a leafy green vegetable

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 14 12:41:13 PDT 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> Basella alba is primarily a tropical or sub-tropical plant, so I
> doubt it would be occurring in Medieval or Renaissance Europe.  If
> you want to be truly historically accurate, you're probably stuck
> with Swiss chard, otherwise, enjoy.
>
> Bear

Based on the description and photos (which distinguish it from what
I've seen labelled as water spinach, which is apparently an amaranth),
it looks kind of like a mallow, and is said to be a bit mucilaginous.

Maybe there's a European mallow you could use, or something like
purselaine.

But the green part of chard wouldn't be bad, or maybe something mild
like beet greens, if you just want a tender green leaf to cook down
and chop or puree.

Maybe watercress, come to think of it. Not quite the same flavor, but
roughly interchangeable, if modern recipes for Oysters Rockefeller are
any indication.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter