[Sca-cooks] Dots of Sauce

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 16 19:17:11 PDT 2009

On Aug 16, 2009, at 9:38 PM, rattkitten wrote:

> It is quoted from Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" I love
> the book because it is written by someone that you can just tell has
> been there in the weeds, fried dog tired, and still flippin' food.
> I am not trying to start a debate on Tony Bourdain... simply giving
> my opinion.  I hold the same opinion of most of the other Celeb
> Chef's as Master A.... not cause of him, just because we agree....
> Julia Child was a Goddess

My take is a little different: Julia Child was a genius. Literally.
She was not without some major flaws (she drank pretty hard and
appeared to be massively, cripplingly homophobic, at least from what I
saw of her the couple of times I dealt with her), but, like George
Washington, was eminently human, possessed weaknesses, and still did
something that had never been done before, and may have been the only
person on earth at the time who could have done it successfully.

> and Bobby Flay isn't even worthy of rolling in her vomit.

Flay's basically a spoiled brat who knows he wasn't qualified for his
first few major restaurant jobs, and has been touchy about his
professional legitimacy ever since.

> Anthony just touched me because he admits it like most restaurant
> chefs... "I can't believe I gotta squirt this jizz on this plate so
> the stupe will pay that much more..."
> But it is the "IN" thing... and the easiest way to decorate the dish.

Hmm. There may be some of that. But Andre Soltner (chef/owner of the
now-defunct but immortal Lutéce) wrote that a chef can't do what he or
she does without love and respect for his clientele, and a genuine
desire to make people happy. Sometimes, however, it can be frustrating
when you fail when you try the thing that seems most obvious to you,
and succeed with something else that's completely inexplicable to you...

> Sorry for rambling.... (I'm a Ramblin' Guy....) ((That was a trip in
> the Way Back Machine for some of us...)) (((So was that)))

This is like when the Evil Spawn and I watch movies from the 80's. You
know, the old classics like E.T. ...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter