[Sca-cooks] OT, Op, Processed Meats

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 19 17:08:53 PDT 2009

In case readers haven't heard the latest:

Good Morning America did a big segment yesterday am on
Processed Meat: A School Lunch Concern
<http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8352691>

A cancer foundation urges parents to avoid giving kids processed meats
and hot dogs.

The new GMA medical expert came out and said you must quit feeding deli
meats to your children.
Send them to school with peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=8350330

By the next break, Diane Sawyer is back on the air saying "We'll address
your worries tomorrow about
peanut butter and what you can send to school as a lunch." I gather
their switchboards and email address
lit up immediately. Thousands of schools ban peanut butter these days
because of peanut allergies, so
if you can't send a sliced ham or bologna sandwich and the school
doesn't allow peanut butter, what
do you send? Also you can't reheat lunches either at school. They have
15-20 minute lunch periods. Etc., etc.

Today they came on with Healthy Lunch Ideas for Kids
<http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8361911>
Nutritionists suggest alternatives to processed meats and peanut butter.
Aug 19, 2009 08:07 AM Video from GMA <http://abcnews.go.com/GMA> ABC News

The one little boy immediately announces that he loves the sliced meat
he's not supposed to be eating.

No word yet from the Subway and sandwich shops.

Johnna