[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 08:17:08 PDT 2009

I fullly understand your wish to get everything done before Shabbat.  But,
when going to a weekend camping event that's often difficult to do.

Until you feel able to make meals immediately upon getting to site using
period recipes and ingredients (and not everyone can) maybe just accept that
and do what you need to do to get set up before sundown and make due with
the foods you have available to you not worrying so much about authenticity
but rather sustainance.  Then when you get more practice you can incorporate
period cooking into your setup.  Take it one step at a time.

Perhaps prepare a meal and bringing it with you so that you do not need to
be so rushed.  You could make it well in advance and freeze it, that way
only needing to reheat it.  Or, you could, in the summer time, go with a
cold meal.  Not always as satifying but also not as stressful.

There are many great period recipes you can make and freeze and then just
reheat.  There is no need to make yourself crazy with the food.  It is often
the case that when people get to an event on Friday evening the evening meal
is very simple.  With your time constraints it would be easiest if you did
the prep at home (for Shabbat Friday night and for food on Saturday) and
only had to open a cooler to retreive your yummies.

Shoshana Simcha bat Reuven