[Sca-cooks] fruits and vinegar/verjuice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 12:23:29 PDT 2009

Selene said:

Judith writes:
>> If there is a way to get that fresh, flavorful burst (without using
>> eggplant if I don't have to -- I know it's all the rage in the
>> medieval Near East, but I don't actually like it)... I'd love to know
>> what it is.
Back to the original question... many kind of fruit known in period
would work.  And the Mediterranean area, which I perceive to be your
main area of interest, was the veritable fruit bowl of the Western
world.  Grapes, apricots, melons and citrus.>>>

grapes-msg        (46K)  1/12/08    Period grapes, raisins and currants.

fruit-citrus-msg (112K) 12/21/06    Period citrus fruits. Recipes.

fruit-melons-msg  (36K) 10/ 8/08    Period melons. References. Recipes.

<<< Also:  a bit of "point" is also added with vinegar and with
verjus, aka
sour grape juice.  The latter is widely available in Middle Eastern
groceries;  brands include Sadaf and Shemshad.>>>

verjuice-msg     (130K)  3/25/09    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.
Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?"
by
                                        Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning
Coffeepots"
                                        by THL Mirin ben DhIarmait.
vinegar-msg       (92K)  1/10/08    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

All of these first ones are the FOOD-FRUITS section and the former
group in the FOOD section.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com