[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Aug 21 12:22:05 PDT 2009

>For someone looking for period Middle Eastern dishes, there are
>excellent translations of Al-Baghdadi, Kitab al-Tabikh, and the
>Anonymous Andalusian cookbook available.

There's also now a translation of al-Warraq, _Annals of the Caliphs'
Kitchens_, which is 10th century, big, and has a wide range of
dishes. I think one has to be a little cautious in believing the
translator on details--as best I can tell, she's a native speaker of
Arabic who is too willing to assume that you can deduce the 10th
century meaning of a word from the modern meaning. But allowing for
that, it's a great source.

Unfortunately, it's also expensive, so it may be worth trying to
persuade a nearby library to get it, or obtaining it via interlibrary
loan.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com