[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:50:12 PDT 2009

A Drizzle of Honey is a wonderful book - I have it (surprise!!).  For
several years I tought "Jewish Food Traditions" to the 7th graders at a
religious school so I have many Jewish cookbooks that I bought for reference
purposes (so I keep telling myself.)

A Drizzle of Honey is a book with interesting information on the Conversos
of Spain (allegedly, because I have not done the research to check the
sources provided.)  They go through many Sephardic dishes and I often think
that maybe I should just be Sephardic for Passover and not Ashkenazi.
But...Tradition!  Tradition!  BTW-I'm STILL trying to convince people that
"flour, water baked into flat cakes (although I believe they also say
yeast)" really meant lasagna noodles (or pita bread) and not matzoh!  So far
nobody is buying it!!!

You could also prepare your Cholent and bring it with, putting it on the
fire over coals to warm for eating on Saturday.  I'm sure you could find
someone who would be able to reset hot coals for you (I know you cannot ask
them to) after a subtle hint!

Good luck.

-S