[Sca-cooks] Is Zuccnini Marrow?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Aug 22 09:28:32 PDT 2009

>So you could use zucchini in any medieval recipe that calls for
>young gourd. But zucchini is much wetter than white flower gourd, so
>you may have to adjust the cooking time and the amount of liquid in
>the recipe.

A lot of different varieties of our modern squash are all the same
species-C. Pepo-and the same seems to be true of C. Lagenaria
(white-flowered gourd aka ...  ). _Four Seasons of the House of
Cerruti_, which is an illustrated text of the _Tacinum Sanitatis_,
shows period edible gourds which don't look all that much like the
Opo we've bought. I found a page online that shows a whole lot of
varieties of what they describe as "Calabash Gourd (OPO Gourd, Bottle
Gourd)," very different looking:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/calgouropo.html

So although the opo gourds in the local grocery stores may be the
best guess we have at period gourds, I don't think one can be sure
that they represent the same variety, or the same detailed
characteristics, as the gourds in period cookbooks.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com